How are hives treated?

Hives, also called urticaria, are an allergic reaction. Antihistamines and sometimes oral steroids are prescribed to treat hives. In the case of a severe attack of hives, an emergency adrenaline (epinephrine) injection and a trip to the emergency room may be necessary.
To help treat hives:
  • Put cool, wet towels on the hives.
  • Use an antihistamine medicine. You can buy this at the store. Benadryl is a common brand but can make you sleepy. For daytime use, look for an antihistamine that says "nonsedating."
Dr. Doris Day, MD
Dermatology
A simple over-the-counter medicine can safely and effective treat hives, says dermatologist Dr. Doris Day. Find out how best to use it by watching this video.

Hives are typically treated with antihistamines. If the condition is mild, over-the-counter antihistamines will likely be enough to correct the problem. If the condition worsens or is severe, prescription antihistamines may be prescribed by a physician.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

The Link Between Atopic Dermatitis and Food Allergies
Atopic dermatitis, also referred to as AD or eczema, is a chronic skin condition characterized by red, irritated and itchy patches of skin. While ther...
How should I cleanse my skin if I have seborrheic keratoses?
Seborrheic keratoses symptoms include rough bumps that may itch. Seborrheic keratoses may cause ...
All-Access Guide to Five Common Skin Conditions
All-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin Conditions
Get to the root of common skin disorders, including triggers, treatment and more. 
How Can I Reduce the Appearance of Cellulite?