What is tinea versicolor?

Tinea versicolor is a fungal infection of the top layer of the skin caused by an overgrowth of a yeast that lives naturally in tiny amounts on your skin. Tinea versicolor is one of the most common skin infections in people who live in tropical climates. It can cause itchy, flaky patches of skin that can look white against dark skin or tan or dark against light skin. The patchy areas of skin will not tan when exposed to sunlight.

A doctor can usually diagnose tinea versicolor by doing a physical examination and analyzing skin cell samples under a microscope. The doctor may also use a special lamp called a Wood's lamp to examine the skin. The condition can usually be treated successfully with anti-fungal medications taken orally or applied topically to the skin in the form of creams, ointments or shampoos.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

Ask the Experts: Hereditary Angioedema Prevention
Hereditary angioedema (HAE) is a rare genetic condition characterized by episodes of severe swelling. In this video, Dr. Mehmet Oz discusses the tellt...
How common is a Spitz nevus?
A Spitz nevus is an unusual type of mole that looks similar to melanoma but isn't. Most Spitz ne...
6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis
6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis
Dry temperatures, chemicals and other atopic dermatitis triggers to avoid.
How Does the Food I Eat Affect My Skin?
How Does the Food I Eat Affect My Skin?