What tests will doctors use to find out if I have vitiligo?

To diagnose vitiligo, your doctor may use the following tests:
  • A physical examination to see the location of the depigmented patches of skin, checking for specific sites and patterns of depigmented skin
  • A skin biopsy (test) of the depigmented patches of skin
  • Blood tests to check for overall health and for autoimmune diseases such as thyroid disease, inflammatory arthritis, and type 1 diabetes
  • An eye test to check for inflammation of the eye
  • A Wood's lamp used in a darkened room to view the depigmented patches of skin

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

The Link Between Atopic Dermatitis and Food Allergies
Atopic dermatitis, also referred to as AD or eczema, is a chronic skin condition characterized by red, irritated and itchy patches of skin. While ther...
How are seborrheic keratoses treated?
Arthur W. Perry, MDArthur W. Perry, MD
When brown spots on the face begin to raise up, they may be benign seborrheic keratoses. Plastic...
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
From acne to hives, get the lowdown on your peskiest skin issues. 
How Is Rosacea Related to Digestive Health?