What are the symptoms of contact dermatitis?

Contact dermatitis can produce a variety of symptoms. The skin may appear to have been burned or can develop well-defined red patches. The skin is usually quite itchy, too. Skin affected by contact dermatitis often feels swollen, tender, and warm. In more severe cases, contact dermatitis may cause sores to form. These skin sores may ooze fluid and become scaly or crusty. Consult a doctor or dermatologist if you suspect you have symptoms of contact dermatitis.

Symptoms of contact dermatitis include itchy, red rashes with distinct borders. The rash only appears where the substance came into contact with the skin. The rashes may have bumps or blisters and may cause swelling and pain as well as itching. Rashes can range from mild to severe.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

Pediatric Atopic Dermatitis: Understanding Severity
Atopic dermatitis is a skin condition that affects people of all ages, and is fairly common among children and teenagers. The majority of people who h...
What can worsen skin conditions?
Cigarette smoking has been found to trigger psoriasis in some patients and worsen the condition in o...
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
From acne to hives, get the lowdown on your peskiest skin issues. 
What Causes Cellulite?
What Causes Cellulite?