What role does sun exposure play in vitiligo?

One of the factors known to trigger the white patches of vitiligo is sunburn. The pigmentation changes that mark the disease typically, but not always, develops on the skin that is most exposed to the sun, such as the hands, face, and arms. Vitiligo becomes noticeable only after the skin has been exposed to the sun for a time early in childhood, not during infancy. It is not clear what the mechanism is, but the sun may affect highly reactive chemicals (called reactive oxygen species or ROS) in the skin that may play a role in triggering the disease in genetically susceptible people.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

5 Treatment Options for Chronic Hives
5 Treatment Options for Chronic Hives
Treating chronic hives can be challenging, and different treatments work for different people. Learn about five different treatment options that you m...
15 Things to Record in Your Chronic Hives Symptom Journal
Living with chronic hives can be frustrating and challenging. Known by the clinical name chronic urticaria, chronic hives recur and persist for a peri...
How Can Exfoliating My Skin Keep It Healthy?
What Causes Cellulite?
What Causes Cellulite?