What are the positives and negatives of tattoo therapy?

There are several positives to receiving tattoo therapy (micropigmentation). One is that it is more permanent than many skin treatments involving a combination of drugs and ultraviolet light. Another is that it can be very useful for vitiligo patches that occur in small areas on the face, for example, around your lips. A negative is that tattoo colors can change and fade. Tattoos are considered permanent, but their characteristics may become different with time. As well, the color of the tattoo may not match your skin perfectly, so you may or may not be completely happy with the outcome of the therapy.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

Pediatric Atopic Dermatitis: Understanding Severity
Atopic dermatitis is a skin condition that affects people of all ages, and is fairly common among children and teenagers. The majority of people who h...
Should I see a dermatologist regularly?
According to Ellen Marmur, MD, associate professor of dermatology and genetics at Mount Sinai Sc...
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
From acne to hives, get the lowdown on your peskiest skin issues. 
What Are the Symptoms of Rosacea?
What Are the Symptoms of Rosacea?