What new treatments are being developed for vitiligo in the future?

Each day brings hope for finding new ways to treat vitiligo. The good news is that scientists know more about vitiligo now than a decade ago. Ongoing clinical trials are studying new therapies, including genetic research, that may someday bring a cure. Here are some current issues being studied about vitiligo:
  • how emotional stress or physical trauma triggers depigmentation of the skin with vitiligo
  • how new and different therapies may treat vitiligo in rodent studies
  • why a genetic factor may trigger vitiligo
  • how medical treatments can help keep skin a uniform color by repigmentation (adding color) or depigmentation (eliminating all color)
  • the importance of surgery and skin grafts in treating vitiligo

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

Why Is My Skin Itchy?
Why Is My Skin Itchy?
In the 1955 Billy Wilder film, The Seven Year Itch, The Girl (Marilyn Monroe) and her neighbor Richard Sherman (Tom Ewell) take a stroll in NYC. As sh...
How often should I see a dermatologist?
Dr. Ellen Marmur, MDDr. Ellen Marmur, MD
You should see a dermatologist once a year for a skin exam. Have your children checked annually from...
All-Access Guide to Five Common Skin Conditions
All-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin Conditions
Get to the root of common skin disorders, including triggers, treatment and more. 
How Is Rosacea Related to Digestive Health?