What does lichen simplex chronicus do to my skin?

Chronic scratching or rubbing of the skin gives it a thickened, leathery appearance, sometimes reddened or even a little scaly, and may leave visible scratch marks or broken hairs.

Our Bodies, Ourselves: Menopause

Our Bodies, Ourselves: Menopause

FROM THE EDITORS OF THE CLASSIC "BIBLE OF WOMEN'S HEALTH," A TRUSTWORTHY, UP-TO-DATE GUIDE TO HELP EVERY WOMAN NAVIGATE THE MENOPAUSE TRANSITION For decades, millions of women have relied on Our...
Lichen simplex chronicus causes skin to become very itchy. As the name of this condition suggests, the problem may become chronic -- that is, it may last a long time. Persistent scratching may eventually cause the skin to become thick and leathery, darken in color, and develop sores. If you think you may have lichen simplex chronicus, see a dermatologist soon.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

How Do I Get the Most Out of a Telehealth Appointment?
In this video, dermatologist Michelle Henry, MD, covers all the things to consider for a successful telehealth appointment.
What is mastocytosis?
Anthony L. Komaroff, MDAnthony L. Komaroff, MD
Mastocytosis is caused by too many mast cells in the body. This most commonly happens in skin. When ...
6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis
6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis
Dry temperatures, chemicals and other atopic dermatitis triggers to avoid.
How Are Skin Tags Removed?
How Are Skin Tags Removed?