What should I know about using sunscreen if I have seborrheic keratoses?

Seborrheic keratoses are skin growths that may become irritated or scaly. Use caution when you go out in the sun. A sunburn can irritate the affected skin or cause additional skin irritation. If you notice any changes in your skin condition, talk with your doctor or dermatologist about your concerns and seek advice on how to manage the condition, including how to best protect the affected area from sun exposure.

Apply sunscreen at least 15 minutes before sun exposure and reapply every several hours for maximum protection. For conditions such as seborrheic keratoses, your dermatologist may suggest you use spray versions of sunscreen to reduce the chance that you will irritate your affected skin.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

How Atopic Dermatitis Can Hurt Your Mental Health
Atopic dermatitis, often referred to as AD or eczema, is a skin condition that affects nearly 18 million adults and over 9 million children in the Uni...
What are the tests for erythema nodosum?
Howard E. Lewine, MDHoward E. Lewine, MD
Erythema nodosum (E. nodosum) is an uncommon condition. It appears as tender red bumps on the legs, ...
All-Access Guide to Five Common Skin Conditions
All-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin Conditions
Get to the root of common skin disorders, including triggers, treatment and more. 
What Can I Do About My Stretch Marks?
What Can I Do About My Stretch Marks?