What should I know about using sunscreen if I have pityriasis versicolor?

If you have been diagnosed with pityriasis versicolor, be especially careful to protect your skin from the sun. Wear sunscreen and do not use a tanning bed or sun lamp. A tan can make the dry patches and discoloration from pityriasis versicolor easier to see.

When you use sunscreen, make sure you use a product that offers UVA and UVB protection. The package should say "broad spectrum." Also, the sunscreen should have a sun protection factor (SPF) of 30 or higher. In addition, with pityriasis versicolor, it is best to use a non-oily sunscreen.

Sunscreen is a very important part of good skin care. If you have any questions about sun protection with pityriasis versicolor, talk to your doctor or dermatologist.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

The Link Between Atopic Dermatitis and Food Allergies
Atopic dermatitis, also referred to as AD or eczema, is a chronic skin condition characterized by red, irritated and itchy patches of skin. While ther...
Is anything wrong if my eyes are dry and itchy?
If your eyes are dry and itchy, you may have ocular rosacea. Skin rosacea is another clue that ocula...
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
From acne to hives, get the lowdown on your peskiest skin issues. 
How Can I Reduce the Appearance of Cellulite?