What should I know about using sunscreen if I have pityriasis versicolor?

If you have been diagnosed with pityriasis versicolor, be especially careful to protect your skin from the sun. Wear sunscreen and do not use a tanning bed or sun lamp. A tan can make the dry patches and discoloration from pityriasis versicolor easier to see.

When you use sunscreen, make sure you use a product that offers UVA and UVB protection. The package should say "broad spectrum." Also, the sunscreen should have a sun protection factor (SPF) of 30 or higher. In addition, with pityriasis versicolor, it is best to use a non-oily sunscreen.

Sunscreen is a very important part of good skin care. If you have any questions about sun protection with pityriasis versicolor, talk to your doctor or dermatologist.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

5 Treatment Options for Chronic Hives
5 Treatment Options for Chronic Hives
Treating chronic hives can be challenging, and different treatments work for different people. Learn about five different treatment options that you m...
How Can Exfoliating My Skin Keep It Healthy?
What Aggravates Rosacea?
What Aggravates Rosacea?
What Is Rosacea?
What Is Rosacea?