What should I know about using sunscreen if I have hives?

Hives, or itchy, red welts that pop up on your skin, can be caused by a number of factors, including a reaction to heat or to allergens—which can  including certain chemicals in some sunscreens. It's best to consult your dermatologist to try to find out the source of your hives and how to treat them.

Your doctor can also speak to you about whether sunscreen use is appropriate for, helpful to, or possibly a cause of your condition. Your doctor may ask you to pay attention to whether the sunscreen itself, or time spent in the sun, seems to bring on a flare-up of your hives.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

3 Treatment Options for Cutaneous Squamous Cell Carcinoma
Treatment for cutaneous squamous cell carcinoma (cSCC) is a little different for each person. Learn about your treatment options.  
How are bumps on the hairline treated?
Heather Kerr Heather Kerr
You may need to be a bit more specific; sometimes bumps along the hairline could mean several things...
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
From acne to hives, get the lowdown on your peskiest skin issues. 
How Does the Food I Eat Affect My Skin?
How Does the Food I Eat Affect My Skin?