What is stasis dermatitis?

Stasis dermatitis is a condition in which excess fluid accumulates in a particular area of the body due in large part to poor circulation. This typically occurs in the legs, ankles and feet. Causes include congestive heart failure, hypertension and varicose veins. The skin noticeably swells and may develop open sores.

Stasis dermatitis is a type of dermatitis that is caused when fluid builds up in the tissues under the skin. This often happens in the lower legs of people who have varicose veins. The extra fluid can cause inflammation and cell death, leading to a rash and sometimes skin ulcers. Swollen and itchy feelings are common in the legs, but it does not usually hurt unless the sores on the rash break open (ulceration).

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

Why Is My Skin Itchy?
Why Is My Skin Itchy?
In the 1955 Billy Wilder film, The Seven Year Itch, The Girl (Marilyn Monroe) and her neighbor Richard Sherman (Tom Ewell) take a stroll in NYC. As sh...
What is cutaneous lupus erythematosus?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Cutaneous lupus erythematosus is a type of lupus that is also known as discoid lupus erythematosus. ...
All-Access Guide to Five Common Skin Conditions
All-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin Conditions
Get to the root of common skin disorders, including triggers, treatment and more. 
How Is Rosacea Treated?
How Is Rosacea Treated?