What is pityriasis versicolor?

Pityriasis versicolor, also called tinea versicolor, is a relatively common fungal infection of the skin. It occurs when a type of yeast that is normally found on the skin grows out of control. Anyone who has oily skin or sweats excessively may develop pityriasis versicolor.

Pityriasis versicolor can sometimes discolor your skin or cause your skin to become itchy or look scaly. Treatment is available in the form of antifungal medicines.

If you have any skin conditions or issues that you are concerned about, be sure to talk to your doctor or dermatologist for diagnosis and treatment.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

Ask the Experts: Hereditary Angioedema Prevention
Hereditary angioedema (HAE) is a rare genetic condition characterized by episodes of severe swelling. In this video, Dr. Mehmet Oz discusses the tellt...
How can I avoid getting lamellar Ichthyosis if it runs in my family?
Lamellar ichthyosis is not a condition that you can take steps to avoid. People who have lamella...
6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis
6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis
Dry temperatures, chemicals and other atopic dermatitis triggers to avoid.
How Can I Reduce the Appearance of Cellulite?