What is nummular dermatitis?

Nummular dermatitis is a relatively uncommon skin condition. It's also known as nummular eczema. The main symptoms of nummular dermatitis are reddish marks on the skin. These marks, or lesions, are roughly the size and shape of coins. They usually appear on the arms or legs. Nummular dermatitis causes the skin to become itchy and inflamed, too. In severe cases, the skin lesions may ooze fluid and become crusty.

Nummular dermatitis usually affects older men. No one knows the cause of this condition. If you think you may have nummular dermatitis, see a doctor. 
Nummular dermatitis, also known as nummular eczema, is a skin condition that causes coin- or oval-shaped rashes to form on the skin. The patches of rashes are usually red and itchy, and they can form almost anywhere on the body. Usually, the rashes last for a few weeks or months and then go away, but sometimes people may be affected by the rashes for years. It often begins as a result of extremely dry skin or after some kind of skin injury. In rare cases it follows exposure to mercury, or exposure to nickel, formaldehyde, or other substances for people who are allergic to them.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

Why Is My Skin Itchy?
Why Is My Skin Itchy?
In the 1955 Billy Wilder film, The Seven Year Itch, The Girl (Marilyn Monroe) and her neighbor Richard Sherman (Tom Ewell) take a stroll in NYC. As sh...
What causes stretch marks?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
Stretching of the skin during weight gain and loss leads to stretch mark formation. There is permane...
All-Access Guide to Five Common Skin Conditions
All-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin Conditions
Get to the root of common skin disorders, including triggers, treatment and more. 
How Does the Food I Eat Affect My Skin?
How Does the Food I Eat Affect My Skin?