What is Klippel-Trenaunay syndrome (KTS)?

Klippel-Trenaunay syndrome (KTS) is a congenital circulatory disorder characterized by hemangiomas (abnormal benign growths on the skin consisting of masses of blood vessels), arteriovenous abscesses, and varicose veins, usually on the limbs. The affected limbs may be enlarged and warmer than normal. Fused toes or fingers, or extra toes or fingers, may be present. Bleeding may occur, often as a result of a rectal or vaginal tumor. The cause of the disorder is unknown. A similar disorder- the port-wine stain disorder -in which individuals have vascular anomalies and limb enlargement, is known as Sturge-Weber syndrome (SWS). Patients suffering from SWS may experience seizures and mental deficiency.
This answer is based on source information from the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke .

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

Pediatric Atopic Dermatitis: Understanding Severity
Atopic dermatitis is a skin condition that affects people of all ages, and is fairly common among children and teenagers. The majority of people who h...
What happens during my first skin exam?
Dr. Ellen Marmur, MDDr. Ellen Marmur, MD
In the examining room, you will be asked to take all your clothes off and put on a gown that is open...
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
From acne to hives, get the lowdown on your peskiest skin issues. 
How Is Rosacea Related to Digestive Health?