What is exfoliative cheilitis?

Exfoliative cheilitis is characterized by extreme exfoliation around the border of the lips. Severe scaling and crusting can lead to increased sensitivity and the development of lesions. The condition may be a result of chewing, sucking, or picking of the lip. Chronic exfoliative cheilitis can also create cosmetic problems. It mostly affects people under 30, especially teens, and some research suggests girls may be more prone to it.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

3 Treatment Options for Cutaneous Squamous Cell Carcinoma
Treatment for cutaneous squamous cell carcinoma (cSCC) is a little different for each person. Learn about your treatment options.  
What is mastocytosis?
Anthony L. Komaroff, MDAnthony L. Komaroff, MD
Mastocytosis is caused by too many mast cells in the body. This most commonly happens in skin. When ...
All-Access Guide to Five Common Skin Conditions
All-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin Conditions
Get to the root of common skin disorders, including triggers, treatment and more. 
How Can Exfoliating My Skin Keep It Healthy?