What is dermatitis herpetiformis?

Dermatitis herpetiformis, also known as DH and Duhring’s disease, is a skin manifestation of celiac disease. Extremely itchy bumps or blisters appear on both sides of your body, most often on your forearms near your elbows, as well as on your knees and buttocks.

Dermatitis herpetiformis bumps and blisters resemble herpes lesions, hence the name “herpetiformis,” but they are not caused by the herpes virus. Symptoms of DH tend to come and go, and it is commonly diagnosed as eczema. Symptoms normally go away when you are on a strict, gluten-free diet.

Dermatitis herpetiformis is an extremely itchy skin outbreak that looks like small clusters of red, itchy bumps. You may feel a burning sensation before getting tiny water blisters that can be scratched off. The remaining scabs usually heal in about two weeks, but new spots will return.

There’s no cure for dermatitis herpetiformis, but it can go into remission. It can be treated with medication to relieve the burning, itching, and irritation. Avoid the triggers that may cause your symptoms to worsen, such as harsh soaps. Keep your skin healthy by washing it with a mild cleanser and moisturizing it regularly. Consult a dermatologist about other ways to manage your dermatitis herpetiformis.

Dermatitis herpetiformis is a chronic disease that causes a skin rash. It makes you feel itchy, and your skin may form blisters or bumps on the elbows, knees, back, back of the scalp, and bottom. Dermatitis herpetiformis is related to the gluten disorder celiac disease, but those with dematitis herpetiformis may not have the same digestive problems.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

Ask the Experts: Hereditary Angioedema Risks and Causes
Hereditary angioedima (HAE) is a rare condition that causes attacks of severe swelling. In this video, Dr. Darria Long-Gillespie, Senior Vice Presiden...
Is anything wrong if my eyes are dry and itchy?
If your eyes are dry and itchy, you may have ocular rosacea. Skin rosacea is another clue that ocula...
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
From acne to hives, get the lowdown on your peskiest skin issues. 
How Can I Reduce the Appearance of Cellulite?