What is cutaneous lupus erythematosus?

Cutaneous lupus erythematosus is a type of lupus that is also known as discoid lupus erythematosus. Unlike systemic lupus erythematosus, which can cause problems throughout the body, cutaneous lupus erythematosus only causes a skin rash. This rash is usually patchy in appearance and may be found on the head or neck; sometimes they may appear elsewhere on the body.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

Ask the Experts: Hereditary Angioedema Prevention
Hereditary angioedema (HAE) is a rare genetic condition characterized by episodes of severe swelling. In this video, Dr. Mehmet Oz discusses the tellt...
How can I avoid getting cutaneous porphyria if it runs in my family?
There are no lifestyle changes or medications that can prevent you from getting cutaneous porphy...
All-Access Guide to Five Common Skin Conditions
All-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin Conditions
Get to the root of common skin disorders, including triggers, treatment and more. 
How Are Skin Tags Removed?
How Are Skin Tags Removed?