What is atopic dermatitis?

Atopic dermatitis, also called eczema, is an inflammation of the skin. It forms an itchy rash on the upper layers of the skin. The cause is unknown and it is not contagious. It does seem to occur more often in families where individuals have asthma and hay fever. Fortunately, about half of affected children are not affected as adults.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

Hidradenitis Suppurativa: Coping with Frustration and Distrust
Many people with hidradenitis suppurativa (HS) live with symptoms for years before a healthcare provider accurately diagnoses the condition. Hidradeni...
What treatments can help for ichthyosis?
Anthony L. Komaroff, MDAnthony L. Komaroff, MD
Ichthyosis is dry, flaky, scaly skin that can involve large areas of the body's surface. The scales ...
All-Access Guide to Five Common Skin Conditions
All-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin Conditions
Get to the root of common skin disorders, including triggers, treatment and more. 
How Does the Food I Eat Affect My Skin?
How Does the Food I Eat Affect My Skin?