What ingredients should I look for in products for chapped lips?

Audrey Kunin, MD
Dermatology
Look for ointment-based lip products containing ingredients such as shea butter, lanolin and vitamin E. Agents such as beeswax and dimethicone, a skin protectant, are often also found in ointment bases. They work to create a barrier against dehydration while the moisturizing ingredients work to fix the chapping. Additives commonly found in lip care products may make chapped lips worse. So while you may enjoy the tingly sensation imparted by menthol, camphor, eucalyptus or cinnamon, avoidance is key for rapid healing.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

How Atopic Dermatitis Can Hurt Your Mental Health
Atopic dermatitis, often referred to as AD or eczema, is a skin condition that affects nearly 18 million adults and over 9 million children in the Uni...
How do I treat dry skin?
Dr. Rosemarie Y. Ingleton, MDDr. Rosemarie Y. Ingleton, MD
To treat dry skin, choose a good moisturizer—and break one daily habit, says dermatologist Dr. Rosem...
All-Access Guide to Five Common Skin Conditions
All-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin Conditions
Get to the root of common skin disorders, including triggers, treatment and more. 
How Is Rosacea Related to Digestive Health?