What ingredients should I look for in products for chapped lips?

Audrey Kunin, MD
Dermatology
Look for ointment-based lip products containing ingredients such as shea butter, lanolin and vitamin E. Agents such as beeswax and dimethicone, a skin protectant, are often also found in ointment bases. They work to create a barrier against dehydration while the moisturizing ingredients work to fix the chapping. Additives commonly found in lip care products may make chapped lips worse. So while you may enjoy the tingly sensation imparted by menthol, camphor, eucalyptus or cinnamon, avoidance is key for rapid healing.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

Prescription Therapies for Pediatric Atopic Dermatitis
Atopic dermatitis affects people of all ages, and millions of children and teens live with the condition. If you are the parent of a child or teen tha...
How is Parry-Romberg treated?
Treatment for Parry-Romberg syndrome usually requires surgery to reconstruct areas of facial tis...
6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis
6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis
Dry temperatures, chemicals and other atopic dermatitis triggers to avoid.
How Does the Food I Eat Affect My Skin?
How Does the Food I Eat Affect My Skin?