What increases my risk for pityriasis rosea?

Pityriasis rosea is not sexist or racist, meaning it affects men and women of any race equally. However, it is more common among teens and young adults than any other age group. Other than that, there’s nothing that puts you at a higher risk for developing pityriasis rosea.

The cause of pityriasis is unknown, though it may be tied to a virus. There is no indication that the condition is contagious, and no risk factors have been identified.

The risk of getting pityriasis rosea is slightly increased in women. Pregnancy also appears to raise the risk. Age also affects your risk-it is higher for those ages 10 to 35, especially teens and young adults. The occurrence of pityriasis rosea is also higher in the fall and spring.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

Ask the Experts: Hereditary Angioedema Prevention
Hereditary angioedema (HAE) is a rare genetic condition characterized by episodes of severe swelling. In this video, Dr. Mehmet Oz discusses the tellt...
What is the bright red spot on my skin that looks like a little cherry?
Jill A. Grimes, MDJill A. Grimes, MD
Tiny bright red spots on your skin that sometimes grow to maybe the size of a pencil eraser may be c...
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
From acne to hives, get the lowdown on your peskiest skin issues. 
What Causes Bumps on Fingers?
What Causes Bumps on Fingers?