What increases my risk for perioral dermatitis?

Being a young woman increases your risk for developing perioral dermatitis, a skin condition that involves tiny red bumps (papules) around the mouth. Although its exact cause is unknown, perioral dermatitis can develop when using skin creams containing steroids to treat other skin conditions.

Talk with your doctor about perioral dermatitis.

Use of moisturizers or creams containing steroids appears to significantly increase the risk of developing perioral dermatitis. Oily makeup also seems to increase the risk, as the condition mostly affects women between ages 20 and 60. Use of moisturizers can also make the disorder's symptoms worse.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

Prescription Therapies for Pediatric Atopic Dermatitis
Atopic dermatitis affects people of all ages, and millions of children and teens live with the condition. If you are the parent of a child or teen tha...
What is dropsy?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
The syndrome now called fluid overload was once known as 'dropsy,' from the Greek word for water.The...
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
From acne to hives, get the lowdown on your peskiest skin issues. 
How Is Rosacea Treated?
How Is Rosacea Treated?