What increases my risk for dermatitis?

Dermatitis can occur in anyone from infants to the elderly. You are at risk if you have allergies to substances that cause specific types of dermatitis, especially if you work in an occupation that puts you in daily contact with that substance. Other risk factors include high stress, travel, dry skin, frequent hand washing, pregnancy, food allergies and, a family history of eczema.

Talk with your doctor about additional risk factors and ways to reduce your risk for dermatitis.     

Some forms of dermatitis seem linked to genetics. For example, atopic dermatitis - also known as eczema - is a dermatitis that is particularly common in children, but frequently eases up or goes away by adulthood. The exact cause is unknown, but it occurs more frequently in families where individuals have asthma and hay fever.

Seborrheic dermatitis causes red and yellow oily scales on the scalp. While the exact cause of this type of dermatitis is also unknown, it also seems likely to be affected by genetics. Both of these types of dermatitis seem to be worsened by stress.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

Ask the Experts: Hereditary Angioedema Risks and Causes
Hereditary angioedima (HAE) is a rare condition that causes attacks of severe swelling. In this video, Dr. Darria Long-Gillespie, Senior Vice Presiden...
How is acanthosis nigricans treated?
Susan V. Bershad, MDSusan V. Bershad, MD
Acanthosis nigricans looks like velvety dark skin. It occurs in the skin folds at the base of the ne...
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
From acne to hives, get the lowdown on your peskiest skin issues. 
How Can I Reduce the Appearance of Cellulite?