What increases my risk of developing hives?

If you have a history of hives or allergic reactions to foods or medications, you are more susceptible to hives. Family history of hives is also a potential risk factor.

Risk factors for developing hives vary, depending on the cause. People with an allergy to a particular substance usually have a family history of the condition. In addition, taking certain medications or having certain medical conditions or disorders can increase your risk of developing hives. These include lupus and thyroid disease.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

Ask the Experts: Hereditary Angioedema Risks and Causes
Hereditary angioedima (HAE) is a rare condition that causes attacks of severe swelling. In this video, Dr. Darria Long-Gillespie, Senior Vice Presiden...
What should I know about using sunscreen if I have seborrheic keratoses?
Seborrheic keratoses are skin growths that may become irritated or scaly. Use caution when you g...
6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis
6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis
Dry temperatures, chemicals and other atopic dermatitis triggers to avoid.
How Can Exfoliating My Skin Keep It Healthy?