What increases my risk for dermatitis herpetiformis?

Your risk for dermatitis herpetiformis, also known as DH and Duhring’s disease, increases if you have celiac disease. It affects 15% to 25% of people with celiac disease who typically have no digestive symptoms.

Dermatitis herpetiformis can affect people of all ages, but the bumps and blisters most often appear for the first time between ages 30 and 40. People of northern European descent are more likely than those of African or Asian heritage to develop dermatitis herpetiformis. The condition is somewhat more common in men than women. And men are more likely to have atypical bumps or blisters on their mouth or genitals.

The exact cause of dermatitis herpetiformis is unknown. For some reason, the body is not able to properly digest foods that contain gluten. It seems that dermatitis herpetiformis tends to affect adults, and men are more prone to developing it than women. People of northern Europe heritage are also more likely to develop dermatitis herpetiformis.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

Hidradenitis Suppurativa: What are Biologic Therapies?
Hidradenitis suppurativa (HS) is categorized as a chronic skin condition, and for good reason—after all, it causes painful breakouts in areas where sk...
How are seborrheic keratoses treated?
Arthur W. Perry, MDArthur W. Perry, MD
When brown spots on the face begin to raise up, they may be benign seborrheic keratoses. Plastic...
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
From acne to hives, get the lowdown on your peskiest skin issues. 
How Can Exfoliating My Skin Keep It Healthy?