What experimental therapies can I try for my vitiligo?

Ask your doctor about clinical trials and experimental therapies for vitiligo. Today, scientists are looking further into the role that melanocytes have in this skin disorder. Melanocytes are cells in the bottom layer of the skin's epidermis that produce melanin, which gives skin its pigmentation. With vitiligo, the melanocytes do not function properly or they die. Genetic mapping has allowed scientists to gain a greater understanding of melanocytes. With this knowledge, they are developing experimental treatments for vitiligo, hoping to someday have preventive therapies and possible cures.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

What Are Chronic Hives?
What Are Chronic Hives?
Hives, also known as urticaria, present as swollen welts on the skin. They are often itchy and uncomfortable. Watch this video to learn what makes hiv...
Differences Between Inducible and Spontaneous Chronic Hives
Hives—also known as wheals, or by their clinical name, urticaria—are red, raised, swollen welts that appear on the surface of the skin. Up to one half...
What Causes Age Spots?
What Causes Age Spots?
What Are the Symptoms of Rosacea?
What Are the Symptoms of Rosacea?