What exactly are scars?

Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery

A scar is simply a body's final response to a trauma to the skin. Healing of the wound through secondary intention includes wound contraction, re-epithelization with cells including fibroblast and myofibroblast and collagen formation. The final scar healing may be associated with thickened scars including keloid and hypertrophic scars, widespread scars, or discoloration of the scar including hyperpigmentation or hypopigmentation.

A scar is the body's response to trauma, and it shows that the body is working to heal itself. Scars are composed mostly of the protein collagen, which your body uses as a foundation for healing your tissue.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

How Atopic Dermatitis Can Hurt Your Mental Health
Atopic dermatitis, often referred to as AD or eczema, is a skin condition that affects nearly 18 million adults and over 9 million children in the Uni...
What are the symptoms of a hemangioma?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
The symptoms of a hemangioma depend on the location of the benign tumor. Most are endothelial prolif...
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
From acne to hives, get the lowdown on your peskiest skin issues. 
What Causes Bumps on Fingers?
What Causes Bumps on Fingers?