What is the most effective dry skin treatment?

The right skin care regimen is very effective in improving dry skin. Use a mild, moisturizing cleanser when you wash, to help replenish moisture and keep skin from drying further. Use lukewarm, not hot, water when you shower. Apply a moisturizing lotion or cream 3 or 4 times a day, especially right after you bathe, to help seal in moisture. Moisturizers that contain a combination of occlusives, like petrolatum, and humectants, like glycerin, are very effective in alleviating dry skin.

John La Puma
Endocrinology Diabetes & Metabolism

The simplest things are often the best: use a humidifier, turn down the room heat, take short (not long) warm (not hot) showers or baths.  Soap just a little: most soap is drying.  Moisturize right afterwards, especially after washing away natural oils.

Skin is dry because it lack oils, and ointments, creams and lotions (in that order) have the most to the least oil. Petrolatum jelly, aka Vaseline, moisturizes very well, but it's goopy.

According to my patients, applying vitamin E (in oil) can be effective, though some people are allergic to it. And an omega-3 fatty acid deficiency often results in dry, chicken-skin near the elbows and upper arms, so if you are not getting enough fish in your diet, or do not take omega-3 capsules, consider this common nutritional cause.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

Ask the Experts: Hereditary Angioedema Prevention
Hereditary angioedema (HAE) is a rare genetic condition characterized by episodes of severe swelling. In this video, Dr. Mehmet Oz discusses the tellt...
What should I do before using a product to treat a skin condition?
Ben KaminskyBen Kaminsky
Before selecting a product to treat a skin condition, it is a good idea to have professional adv...
6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis
6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis
Dry temperatures, chemicals and other atopic dermatitis triggers to avoid.
What Can I Do About My Stretch Marks?
What Can I Do About My Stretch Marks?