What does dry skin look like?

Dry skin has almost invisible pores and can look dull, scaly, flaky, or rough. Sometimes cracks may appear on very dry skin, and they may become so deep that they bleed. Dry skin can occur anywhere on the body and is more noticeable with age. You may notice fine lines with dry skin and have itching or a pulling sensation if the skin is extremely dry. Consult a dermatologist if the dry skin becomes irritated or red, or if the skin peels. Taking good care of skin everyday by using a mild cleanser and moisturizer can help to keep dry skin at bay.

Dry skin may itch, flake, peel, or scale.  Watch the animation to learn about mild dry skin, including prevention and simple treatment.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

Why Is My Skin Itchy?
Why Is My Skin Itchy?
In the 1955 Billy Wilder film, The Seven Year Itch, The Girl (Marilyn Monroe) and her neighbor Richard Sherman (Tom Ewell) take a stroll in NYC. As sh...
What are some treatments for razor bumps?
Jeanine B. Downie, MDJeanine B. Downie, MD
Treatments for razor bumps include benzoyl peroxide products, toners and even prescription-strength ...
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
From acne to hives, get the lowdown on your peskiest skin issues. 
How Can Exfoliating My Skin Keep It Healthy?