What does anti-pruritic mean?

Anti-pruritic is another word for anti-itch, often used in reference to anti-itch treatments. Anti-pruritic treatments include:
  • antihistamines (that combat substances called histamines that can cause itchiness and congestion)
  • corticosteroids (that lessen inflammation and itchiness)
  • anesthetics (that help numb nerve endings so you don't feel the urge to itch)

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

How Atopic Dermatitis Can Hurt Your Mental Health
Atopic dermatitis, often referred to as AD or eczema, is a skin condition that affects nearly 18 million adults and over 9 million children in the Uni...
How are skin tags removed?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
It's fine to rip the tag off a new dress, but leave the removal of skin tags to a pro, says dermatol...
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
From acne to hives, get the lowdown on your peskiest skin issues. 
How Can Exfoliating My Skin Keep It Healthy?