What is dermatographia and does it cause hives?

Dermatographia is a condition that produces raised red lines on your skin. It often develops after scratching or rubbing sensitive skin. Dermatographia  is not serious and causes no significant problems, but it can feel uncomfortable. The symptoms of dermatographia can include redness, itching, and swelling that may look like hives. The symptoms usually go away shortly without treatment, but sometimes they can linger and become severe. Your doctor may prescribe an antihistamine to relieve symptoms of dermatographia. Consult a dermatologist for more information.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

Differences Between Inducible and Spontaneous Chronic Hives
Hives—also known as wheals, or by their clinical name, urticaria—are red, raised, swollen welts that appear on the surface of the skin. Up to one half...
What Causes Age Spots?
What Causes Age Spots?
How Can Exfoliating My Skin Keep It Healthy?
How Is Rosacea Related to Digestive Health?