What are the most common genetic skin conditions?

A number of rare skin disorders have been linked to certain genes. However, some very common skin conditions are believed to be influenced by genes you inherit, including:
  • Psoriasis, which produces patches of red, bumpy skin and other symptoms. Approximately 7.5 million Americans have psoriasis, which appears to run in families. 
  • Melanoma, which is responsible for three-quarters of all skin cancer deaths. Spending time in the sun increases the risk for melanoma, but genes seem to play a role, too; having a close family member who has or had melanoma appears to increase your risk. 
  • Androgenetic alopecia, which is the most common cause of baldness. About half of all men show signs of androgenetic alopecia by age 50. Women can develop hereditary hair loss, too. 

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

Pediatric Atopic Dermatitis: Understanding Severity
Atopic dermatitis is a skin condition that affects people of all ages, and is fairly common among children and teenagers. The majority of people who h...
What should I do before using a product to treat a skin condition?
Ben KaminskyBen Kaminsky
Before selecting a product to treat a skin condition, it is a good idea to have professional adv...
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
From acne to hives, get the lowdown on your peskiest skin issues. 
How Does the Food I Eat Affect My Skin?
How Does the Food I Eat Affect My Skin?