What causes the white patches in vitiligo to spread?

The white patches caused by the skin condition vitiligo can spread to other locations or can stay in one area. The course is unpredictable and varies from person to person. Some people with vitiligo say that new patches form on skin that is under pressure or exposed to friction. This can happen from shaving or rubbing from jewelry or clothing. New patches can form after physical trauma experienced during sports or simply from frequently rubbing the face or brushing the hair. The patches can progress rapidly in some people, or not at all in others.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

Treatment Options for Difficult-to-Treat Chronic Hives
Urticaria is the clinical term for hives—red, raised, itchy welts that form on the surface of the skin. Hives are classified as either acute or chroni...
5 Treatment Options for Chronic Hives
5 Treatment Options for Chronic Hives
Treating chronic hives can be challenging, and different treatments work for different people. Learn about five different treatment options that you m...
How Can Exfoliating My Skin Keep It Healthy?
What Is Rosacea?
What Is Rosacea?