What causes the white patches in vitiligo to spread?

The white patches caused by the skin condition vitiligo can spread to other locations or can stay in one area. The course is unpredictable and varies from person to person. Some people with vitiligo say that new patches form on skin that is under pressure or exposed to friction. This can happen from shaving or rubbing from jewelry or clothing. New patches can form after physical trauma experienced during sports or simply from frequently rubbing the face or brushing the hair. The patches can progress rapidly in some people, or not at all in others.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

Pediatric Atopic Dermatitis: Understanding Severity
Atopic dermatitis is a skin condition that affects people of all ages, and is fairly common among children and teenagers. The majority of people who h...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with impetigo?
If you are caring for someone with impetigo, his or her doctor may tell you to take steps to hel...
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
From acne to hives, get the lowdown on your peskiest skin issues. 
How Can I Reduce the Appearance of Cellulite?