What causes stasis dermatitis?

Stasis dermatitis is a skin condition caused by poor circulation. Normally, blood pumped out by the heart flows through the body, then returns to the heart. However, problems with valves in the leg veins can cause blood flow to become sluggish. That can make fluid build up, resulting in swelling. Over time, the skin may break out in an itchy rash. If stasis dermatitis is not properly treated, it can lead to painful sores and other symptoms. If you think you have stasis dermatitis, see a doctor.

Stasis dermatitis occurs when fluid builds up under the skin, making it hard for cells to receive necessary nutrients and eliminate wastes. This damages and inflames skin. Stasis dermatitis is often the result of conditions that cause circulation problems in the legs, such as varicose veins and congestive heart failure.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

Ask the Experts: Hereditary Angioedema Prevention
Hereditary angioedema (HAE) is a rare genetic condition characterized by episodes of severe swelling. In this video, Dr. Mehmet Oz discusses the tellt...
How is a Spitz nevus treated?
Research indicates that there may be a relationship between a Spitz nevus and melanoma, a deadly...
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
From acne to hives, get the lowdown on your peskiest skin issues. 
How Is Rosacea Treated?
How Is Rosacea Treated?