What causes hidradenitis suppurativa?

Hidradenitis suppurativa occurs when hair follicles near sweat glands repeatedly become blocked. The blockage causes bacteria to form. The bacteria causes infection under the skin, and the skin becomes inflamed. Doctors are unsure of why the blockages occur.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

Pediatric Atopic Dermatitis: Establishing Routines
Atopic dermatitis, often referred to as eczema, is a common skin condition that affects people of all ages. It is most common in young children, thoug...
How serious is my son's erythema nodosum?
Anthony L. Komaroff, MDAnthony L. Komaroff, MD
Erythema nodosum is a lumpy, tender rash due to inflammation of the tissues just beneath the skin. I...
6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis
6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis
Dry temperatures, chemicals and other atopic dermatitis triggers to avoid.
How Are Skin Tags Removed?
How Are Skin Tags Removed?