What causes boils on my buttocks?

Butt boils can come from many sources, including infections, skin disorders and exposure to chemicals. They also comes from a condition called hidradenitis suppurativa. It’s a chronic skin disease that causes painful boil-like lumps under the skin. The lumps often break open, producing abscesses that drain fluid and pus. They more commonly form in the armpit or groin, including the area around the buttocks.

Studies have shown that it may affect one in 100 people. Women are three times more likely to develop this condition, and it is more common in African Americans.

If you think you might have this, you should see a doctor. You may benefit from a course of antibiotics, anti-inflammatory medications, or surgery.
This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

Prescription Therapies for Pediatric Atopic Dermatitis
Atopic dermatitis affects people of all ages, and millions of children and teens live with the condition. If you are the parent of a child or teen tha...
How is acanthosis nigricans treated?
Susan V. Bershad, MDSusan V. Bershad, MD
Acanthosis nigricans looks like velvety dark skin. It occurs in the skin folds at the base of the ne...
6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis
6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis
Dry temperatures, chemicals and other atopic dermatitis triggers to avoid.
How Does the Food I Eat Affect My Skin?
How Does the Food I Eat Affect My Skin?