What are the types of vitiligo?

There are two main types of vitiligo, a skin disease in which portions of the skin and hair lose their color and appear lighter than the surrounding areas.
  • Segmental vitiligo often begins when someone is young and only affects one part of the body, such as the face or one limb (and not the other). After growing for about a year, the condition usually stops spreading.
  • Non-segmental vitiligo, the most common type, affects both sides of the body and often begins on the hands or face. It tends to affect people over the course of their lives, covering larger and larger areas of skin.
Sometimes, though rarely, vitiligo can affect most of the skin on a person's body.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

Pediatric Atopic Dermatitis: Understanding Severity
Atopic dermatitis is a skin condition that affects people of all ages, and is fairly common among children and teenagers. The majority of people who h...
How should I cleanse my skin if I have seborrheic keratoses?
Seborrheic keratoses symptoms include rough bumps that may itch. Seborrheic keratoses may cause ...
6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis
6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis
Dry temperatures, chemicals and other atopic dermatitis triggers to avoid.
How Are Skin Tags Removed?
How Are Skin Tags Removed?