What are the types of vitiligo?

There are two main types of vitiligo, a skin disease in which portions of the skin and hair lose their color and appear lighter than the surrounding areas.
  • Segmental vitiligo often begins when someone is young and only affects one part of the body, such as the face or one limb (and not the other). After growing for about a year, the condition usually stops spreading.
  • Non-segmental vitiligo, the most common type, affects both sides of the body and often begins on the hands or face. It tends to affect people over the course of their lives, covering larger and larger areas of skin.
Sometimes, though rarely, vitiligo can affect most of the skin on a person's body.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

3 Ways to Improve Your Chances of Success When Treating CIU
CIU, or chronic idiopathic hives, can be challenging to treat, but there are a few steps you can take to improve your chances of success. Watch this v...
What Causes Hives?
What Causes Hives?
Hives are red, itchy, slightly raised or swollen welts that appear on the surface of the skin. They are also known as wheals, and by their clinical na...
How Is Rosacea Related to Digestive Health?
How Can Exfoliating My Skin Keep It Healthy?