What are the treatment options for dermatitis?

Dermatitis can benefit from keeping the dry skin moist with wet compresses, moisturizers, or petroleum jelly. If the cause of the rash is known, it is important to avoid exposure to the irritant.

Most cases of dermatitis can be treated with creams that contain corticosteroids. When the rash goes away, topical corticosteroids should be discontinued. Non-prescription antihistamines can help with itching. Non-steroidal medications are available through doctors. Doctors can also prescribe antibiotics, creams with strong steroids in them, and immunomodulators. Immunomodulators decrease inflammation and affect the immune system.

Specific types of dermatitis have specific treatments. Seborrheic dermatitis on the scalp is usually treated by medicated shampoos. If stress seems to be a major contributor to your dermatitis, treatments can include counseling and antidepressants.

Dermatitis is a broad term that covers many different disorders, most of which result in a red, itchy rash. Treatment options for dermatitis depend on the cause and specific symptoms that you are suffering from. Treatments may include avoiding contact with the irritating substance and using topical or oral medications to relieve itching. Talk with your doctor about treating your dermatitis. 

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

3 Treatment Options for Cutaneous Squamous Cell Carcinoma
Treatment for cutaneous squamous cell carcinoma (cSCC) is a little different for each person. Learn about your treatment options.  
When should I see a doctor about sun rash?
You should see a doctor if your sun rash seems especially severe. For instance, if it covers more ar...
All-Access Guide to Five Common Skin Conditions
All-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin Conditions
Get to the root of common skin disorders, including triggers, treatment and more. 
How Can Exfoliating My Skin Keep It Healthy?