What are the symptoms of lichen sclerosus?

Lichen sclerosus (LS) usually occurs on the skin around the clitoris and/or labia, which appears white, thin and slightly wrinkled. In addition to intense itching, there can be cracks in the skin, bleeding and pain. No surprise, in the most severe cases intercourse is pretty much out of the question -- the skin not only splits, but scarring causes a narrowing and tightening of the opening of the vagina.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

How Atopic Dermatitis Can Hurt Your Mental Health
Atopic dermatitis, often referred to as AD or eczema, is a skin condition that affects nearly 18 million adults and over 9 million children in the Uni...
What are the tests for erythema nodosum?
Howard E. Lewine, MDHoward E. Lewine, MD
Erythema nodosum (E. nodosum) is an uncommon condition. It appears as tender red bumps on the legs, ...
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
From acne to hives, get the lowdown on your peskiest skin issues. 
How Is Rosacea Treated?
How Is Rosacea Treated?