What are safer tanning options?

Repair and rework your tan to protect your skin first by giving up the tanning salon, if you’re a frequent visitor.  Look at the tanning bed as a carcinogenic, a concentrated dose of dangerous UV rays at point-blank range. Repair damaged skin with a topical treatment that contains vitamin A. If you can't give up on that glow, opt for an alternative, such as bronzer. This will help you achieve a similar look without posing any cancer risks. Bronzers are a safe option because they sit on the top of the skin as opposed to being absorbed by the skin. Do not use spray tans. The microparticles in the spray can be inhaled and may irritate the lungs. Also avoid self-tanners; some of the active browning ingredients in self-tanners may damage the DNA of skin cells.
This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

Differences Between Inducible and Spontaneous Chronic Hives
Hives—also known as wheals, or by their clinical name, urticaria—are red, raised, swollen welts that appear on the surface of the skin. Up to one half...
What Are Chronic Hives?
What Are Chronic Hives?
Hives, also known as urticaria, present as swollen welts on the skin. They are often itchy and uncomfortable. Watch this video to learn what makes hiv...
How Is Rosacea Treated?
How Is Rosacea Treated?
How Can Exfoliating My Skin Keep It Healthy?