Can washing the skin prevent dermatitis?

Cleaning your skin helps keep it healthy, so the first line of defense is to remove dirt, oil, dead skin cells, and bacteria. Wash your skin gently with a mild cleanser (no harsh soaps) applied with your fingertips. Place the cleanser on your fingers and not directly on your skin to avoid irritation. Even cleansers intended to help your skin may cause irritation to sensitive skin when applied directly.

Rinse with lukewarm water. Avoid rubbing or scrubbing so you don’t damage your skin. Don’t use mesh sponges, abrasive scrubs, and woven face cloths because they can irritate sensitive skin. Talk to your dermatologist before considering procedures such as peeling, exfoliating, or microdermabrasion. Use a moisturizer to protect your skin from dryness, itching, and cracking. Your dermatologist can recommend the best type of moisturizer for you and how often to apply.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

Tips for Talking to a Doctor About Embarrassing HS Symptoms
Hidradenitis (hi-drad-uh-NIE-tis) suppurativa (sup-yoo-ruh-TIE-vuh), or HS, is an inflammatory skin disorder. HS causes painful, inflamed lesions tha...
What could cause pimples and rash on my bottom and private area?
Evelyn Minaya, MDEvelyn Minaya, MD
Pimples and rashes on the bottom and in the private area can be caused by the same or different thin...
6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis
6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis
Dry temperatures, chemicals and other atopic dermatitis triggers to avoid.
How Can Exfoliating My Skin Keep It Healthy?