What is the treatment for sweat rash?

Dr. Doris Day, MD
Dermatology
This problem can appear as clusters of itchy red bumps or as larger hives. Sometimes called prickly heat, it is particularly common during the hot summer months. The medical term for the condition is miliaria.

You can get relief from the prickly sensation by applying a topical medication such as calamine lotion. If your symptoms are extreme, your dermatologist may prescribe topical steroids such as cortisone, or topical antibiotics to fight further overgrowth of bacteria.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

Why Is My Skin Itchy?
Why Is My Skin Itchy?
In the 1955 Billy Wilder film, The Seven Year Itch, The Girl (Marilyn Monroe) and her neighbor Richard Sherman (Tom Ewell) take a stroll in NYC. As sh...
What can a doctor do for melasma?
While melasma sometimes clears up on its own, especially if it was caused by pregnancy or taking...
All-Access Guide to Five Common Skin Conditions
All-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin Conditions
Get to the root of common skin disorders, including triggers, treatment and more. 
How Can I Reduce the Appearance of Cellulite?