What is the treatment for sweat rash?

Dr. Doris Day, MD
Dermatology
This problem can appear as clusters of itchy red bumps or as larger hives. Sometimes called prickly heat, it is particularly common during the hot summer months. The medical term for the condition is miliaria.

You can get relief from the prickly sensation by applying a topical medication such as calamine lotion. If your symptoms are extreme, your dermatologist may prescribe topical steroids such as cortisone, or topical antibiotics to fight further overgrowth of bacteria.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

How Atopic Dermatitis Can Hurt Your Mental Health
Atopic dermatitis, often referred to as AD or eczema, is a skin condition that affects nearly 18 million adults and over 9 million children in the Uni...
How do I manage my cutaneous lupus erythematosus on a daily basis?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Cutaneous lupus erythematosus (discoid lupus erythematosus) only causes problems in the skin, causin...
All-Access Guide to Five Common Skin Conditions
All-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin Conditions
Get to the root of common skin disorders, including triggers, treatment and more. 
What Is Rosacea?
What Is Rosacea?