What are the treatment options for perioral dermatitis?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Unlike other forms of dermatitis, treating perioral dermatitis with steroid creams will not eliminate the symptoms; in fact, steroids only make perioral dermatitis symptoms worse. However, there are several other types of medicated cream your doctor can prescribe for you as a first course of treatment. Treatment often lasts for several months. If creams do not eliminate the symptoms, oral antibiotics can be tried instead.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

15 Things to Record in Your Chronic Hives Symptom Journal
Living with chronic hives can be frustrating and challenging. Known by the clinical name chronic urticaria, chronic hives recur and persist for a peri...
Differences Between Inducible and Spontaneous Chronic Hives
Hives—also known as wheals, or by their clinical name, urticaria—are red, raised, swollen welts that appear on the surface of the skin. Up to one half...
How Can Exfoliating My Skin Keep It Healthy?
What Is Rosacea?
What Is Rosacea?