What are the treatment options for hives?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Over-the-counter antihistamines are the main treatment for hives. If you experience mild symptoms, you may not need any treatment. However, if your symptoms are severe or reoccurring, you may need a prescription medication such as corticosteroids. Talk to your doctor to determine the best treatment option for you.

Antihistamines and sometimes oral steroids are prescribed to treat hives. In the case of a severe attack of hives, an emergency adrenaline (epinephrine) injection and a trip to the emergency room may be necessary.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

Differences Between Inducible and Spontaneous Chronic Hives
Hives—also known as wheals, or by their clinical name, urticaria—are red, raised, swollen welts that appear on the surface of the skin. Up to one half...
How Can Exfoliating My Skin Keep It Healthy?
What Causes Cellulite?
What Causes Cellulite?
How Is Rosacea Treated?
How Is Rosacea Treated?