How can I treat bruises myself?

Madeleine M. Castellanos, MD
Psychiatry
Anything that involves blunt force trauma to the genitals can injure and bruise a man's penis and scrotum. The most common cause is a kick or knee to the groin, either in a fight or accidentally during sports. If you do get bruised, an icepack and rest will usually help you heal. Most guys are all too familiar with that nauseous feeling that comes after getting kicked in the genitals. But if you have worsening pain or swelling, or the nausea continues for more than an hour or so, you should get prompt medical attention, since testicles can get ruptured.
Dr. Ellen Marmur, MD
Dermatology

There is not much you can do for a simple bruise. Arnica montana is a homeopathic medication (available at health food stores) that claims to make bruises fade away faster. Many of my patients swear by it. You can apply a topical cream or tincture to the skin, take homeopathic pills, or both.

Simple Skin Beauty: Every Woman's Guide to a Lifetime of Healthy, Gorgeous Skin

What if a leading dermatologist just happened to be your best friend and you could ask her anything? DR. ELLEN MARMUR, a world-renowned New York City dermatologist, answers all your questions with...

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

Prescription Therapies for Pediatric Atopic Dermatitis
Atopic dermatitis affects people of all ages, and millions of children and teens live with the condition. If you are the parent of a child or teen tha...
How likely am I to get stretch marks while pregnant?
Although things like weight, hormones and a family history of stretch marks can all contribute to yo...
6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis
6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis
Dry temperatures, chemicals and other atopic dermatitis triggers to avoid.
What Causes Bumps on Fingers?
What Causes Bumps on Fingers?