Should I talk to my doctor about my pityriasis rosea symptoms?

Since pityriasis rosea can look like other diseases with rash-like symptoms, talk to your doctor to confirm the diagnosis. In the case that you don't have pityriasis rosea, you may need medical interventions to prevent further problems. If you do have pityriasis rosea, there are several treatments the doctor may recommend to alleviate the itching.

If you have noticed a new large scaly patch of skin on your back, chest, or abdomen, have a persistent rash on your back, chest, abdomen, arms, legs, or face, you can take a pic and send it to a doc, post it on the internet, or talk to your doctor. He can help sleuth out what’s causing the pesky rash whether it’s pityriasis rosea or not. Also, if your doctor does end up diagnosing you with pityriasis rosea, but it doesn’t clear up within three months, definitely let your doctor know.

Pityriasis is ultimately not harmful. However, if the symptoms of pityriasis persist for longer than a few weeks, or if the rash spreads beyond the chest and back, it is a good idea to consult a physician.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

Hidradenitis Suppurativa: Mental and Emotional Health
Hidradenitis suppurativa (HS) is a chronic skin condition that causes inflamed, painful, boil-like lumps called lesions to form under the skin. Oftent...
What are some treatments for razor bumps?
Anthony L. Komaroff, MDAnthony L. Komaroff, MD
Pseudofolliculitis barbae, or "razor bumps," results from the close shaving of curly beards. Black-s...
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
From acne to hives, get the lowdown on your peskiest skin issues. 
How Is Rosacea Treated?
How Is Rosacea Treated?