Should I talk to my doctor about my nummular dermatitis symptoms?

If you have the characteristic red, itchy, coin-shaped rashes that are usually a symptom of nummular dermatitis, it's probably best to talk to your doctor. A skin doctor, or dermatologist, will be able to diagnose the problem and then decide which treatment is best for you. Some of the more effective treatments are available only with a prescription, so it's important to see your doctor, especially if symptoms are severe or persistent.

You may not need to talk to a doctor about your nummular dermatitis symptoms. If your symptoms are mild, you may be able to treat them by soaking in a lukewarm bath, then applying moisturizer to the affected skin while it's still damp. Identifying and avoiding the skin irritants that cause nummular dermatitis symptoms to flare up can help to control this condition.

Talk to a doctor if your nummular dermatitis symptoms don't respond to at-home treatment. He or she can prescribe medication that can help. See a doctor as soon as possible if you develop signs of infection, such as a fever or pain. 

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

The Link Between Atopic Dermatitis and Food Allergies
Atopic dermatitis, also referred to as AD or eczema, is a chronic skin condition characterized by red, irritated and itchy patches of skin. While ther...
What causes stretch marks on breasts?
Breast stretch marks can certainly spoil a woman's décolletage. In this video, Dr. Oz explains w...
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
From acne to hives, get the lowdown on your peskiest skin issues. 
What Aggravates Rosacea?
What Aggravates Rosacea?