Should I talk to my doctor about my contact dermatitis symptoms?

You should consider talking to your doctor about contact dermatitis if your symptoms are severe or if treatments you try at home fail to help. If your symptoms are mild, they may not need treatment. Or you may be able to reduce itching and other symptoms with over-the-counter and homemade therapies. If you have developed sores from contact dermatitis, talk to a doctor. 

If your rashes are persistent or painful, see your doctor. Your doctor may ask you questions or do a patch test to determine the substance to which you are reacting. Then you can try to avoid the substance and prevent further rashes. Also see your doctor if the rash appears to be infected; you may need further treatment.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

Pediatric Atopic Dermatitis: Establishing Routines
Atopic dermatitis, often referred to as eczema, is a common skin condition that affects people of all ages. It is most common in young children, thoug...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with impetigo?
If you are caring for someone with impetigo, his or her doctor may tell you to take steps to hel...
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
From acne to hives, get the lowdown on your peskiest skin issues. 
What Causes Bumps on Fingers?
What Causes Bumps on Fingers?