Should I talk to my doctor about my atopic dermatitis symptoms?

If you think you have atopic dermatitis, it's wise to tell a doctor about your symptoms. Atopic dermatitis can cause intense itching. Persistent itching can interfere with your quality of life and cause sleepless nights. Also, if you don't receive proper treatment, you're likely to seek relief by scratching the affected skin. Chronic scratching can cause skin infections. It can also toughen the skin, giving it a leathery appearance. Getting the right treatment can help relieve your symptoms of atopic dermatitis. 
If you notice that you or your child is displaying symptoms of atopic dermatitis, consult your doctor. While there is no cure for the disease, a proper diagnosis can help you narrow down specific factors that are exacerbating your symptoms. Your doctor may also be able to prescribe creams or oral medications that can help you manage the disease. While a cure doesn't exist, these medications may soothe symptoms. Seeing your doctor early may also help prevent complications, such as skin infections.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

The Link Between Atopic Dermatitis and Food Allergies
Atopic dermatitis, also referred to as AD or eczema, is a chronic skin condition characterized by red, irritated and itchy patches of skin. While ther...
What should I know about treatments with the drug psoralen?
Psoralen is a type of medication that is used to treat certain skin disorders, including vitilig...
6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis
6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis
Dry temperatures, chemicals and other atopic dermatitis triggers to avoid.
What Is Rosacea?
What Is Rosacea?