Should I talk to my doctor about my scleroderma symptoms?

If you notice that the skin of your hands look shiny and taut, if your fingers seem to blanch or turn blue when the temperature changes and you are not traversing the tundra, or if you seem to have developed joint problems, you should absolutely talk to your doctor. Early diagnosis, symptom management, and minimizing damage to affected organs like your GI system, heart or kidneys, make scleroderma more manageable.

Because scleroderma can impact many different areas and organs in the body, it is best to first see your family doctor if you notice symptoms. From there, he or she will refer you to specialists who are experts in the specific areas where you are experiencing symptoms.

Because scleroderma can cause serious health problems and is potentially life-threatening, it's important to talk to your doctor if you start having symptoms of scleroderma. Your doctor may refer you to a rheumatologist (a joint specialist), or to other specialists who can diagnose and treat you for any gastrointestinal, cardiovascular, or kidney symptoms. Although there is no known cure for the disorder, these doctors can prescribe medications and recommend other treatments that may help control pain and reduce organ and tissue damage.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

Pediatric Atopic Dermatitis: Understanding Severity
Atopic dermatitis is a skin condition that affects people of all ages, and is fairly common among children and teenagers. The majority of people who h...
What does having itchy skin suggest about my skin health?
There are many causes for itchy skin, so it may have a variety of implications for your skin health....
6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis
6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis
Dry temperatures, chemicals and other atopic dermatitis triggers to avoid.
What Causes Bumps on Fingers?
What Causes Bumps on Fingers?