Should I talk to my doctor about my scleroderma symptoms?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Because scleroderma can cause serious health problems and is potentially life-threatening, it's important to talk to your doctor if you start having symptoms of scleroderma. Your doctor may refer you to a rheumatologist (a joint specialist), or to other specialists who can diagnose and treat you for any gastrointestinal, cardiovascular, or kidney symptoms. Although there is no known cure for the disorder, these doctors can prescribe medications and recommend other treatments that may help control pain and reduce organ and tissue damage.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

Treatment Options for Difficult-to-Treat Chronic Hives
Urticaria is the clinical term for hives—red, raised, itchy welts that form on the surface of the skin. Hives are classified as either acute or chroni...
What Causes Hives?
What Causes Hives?
Hives are red, itchy, slightly raised or swollen welts that appear on the surface of the skin. They are also known as wheals, and by their clinical na...
How Is Rosacea Treated?
How Is Rosacea Treated?
What Is Rosacea?
What Is Rosacea?